15 Simple Ways to Boost Your Mood
Your mood can fluctuate from week to week, day to day, or even hour to hour. But, that doesn’t mean that your mood is outside of your control. There’s plenty you can do to lift your negative mood and feel better very quickly.
Avoid believing that you’re a victim to the randomness of life. When your mood is faltering, give it a quick and effective boost!
Try these ideas to boost your mood on command:
- Sing. You know that singing makes you feel better, so just let it out. Wait until you’re alone if you’re shy, and let your voice go. Turn on your favourite song and sing along if that helps.
- Dance. Moving your body can change your mood. You can even dance while you sing. Every song you want to dance to is available for free on YouTube or Spotify. Check out this Mom Camp Spotify playlist.
- Watch a movie that inspires you or makes you laugh. Movies are a great way to give your attitude a boost. Choose a movie that inspires you to take action or one that makes you smile. Both can have a positive impact on your mood.
- Run. Actually, any type of exercise will do. Work up a sweat in an activity that you enjoy, and you’ll feel better.
- Walk. Walking gets you out of the house, and a change of scenery can lead to a change in mood. Get out of your neighbourhood if you want the maximum impact. You might even take a short drive to find a great walking location.
- Go to a museum. Whether you like art, science, or ancient history, the right museum can inspire you. Your problems seem to melt away when you can experience a concentrated environment of the world’s best and most interesting.
- Go out with a friend. Time spent with a good friend can definitely alter your mood for the better. Pick something fun to do and get together.
- Read a good book. Like music or a good movie, a good book can transport you to another place. To maximize the positive effect on your mood, find something that amuses or inspires you.
- Have a delicious snack. What’s the fastest way to boost your mood? Your favourite snack. Avoid sacrificing your health, but a bite of chocolate or another favourite is hard to beat.
- Write. Writing can help to flush any negative emotions and thoughts from your mind. Try it for 10 minutes and see how you feel.
- Drink a big glass of water. Interestingly, a drink of water can uplift your mood and energy levels. Most of us are at least a little dehydrated most of the time, so drink up.
- Take a nap. When your day is going badly, start it over with a nap. Research shows that naps boost mood and increase energy levels. Keep your naps short (no more than 20 minutes) to avoid feeling groggy afterwards.
- Contemplate the good things in your life. Refocus your attention on the positive aspects of your life. Make a list of the things you can feel good about and your current perspective will change for the better.
- Play with a pet. Pets are soothing. Their unwavering love brings sunshine to a cloudy day.
- Take 10 deep breaths. Stand up straight and take 10 deep breaths. You’ll feel a difference in your mood and outlook very quickly.
There are many ways to elevate your mood quickly and easily. You don’t have to endure a bad mood until something good randomly happens to improve it. You can boost your mood whenever you choose.
When you notice your mood begin to darken, turn your day around with one of these tips or other activities that you enjoy.
Eight life lessons I learned this year This has been a big year. Truth be told it didn't feel big for most of the time, because I was doing things I truly enjoyed, but when I take a moment to stop and look back, a LOT happened this year. In addition to momming,...
The Six R's of Recovery ModeHave you ever had it happen that you finally get away for a much needed vacation, and you immediately get sick? It's like you've been running on adrenaline and the second you even think about relaxing, the germs attack. It's your body's way...
I Don't Want My Body Back There's a lot of talk about "getting your body back" after having a baby. And I get it in theory. The incredible process of growing a human and birthing it in whatever way that happens, it wreaks havoc on a woman's body. Things stretch,...