10 Simple Things You Can Do to Have a Great Year
A great year is well within your reach, but it won’t happen by accident. There are several things you can do, many of them daily, that will help to ensure that you have a year that brings a smile to your face.
Are you willing to put in the work to have a great year? Here are some ideas to make that happen.
Try these strategies and have the best year of your life:
- Drink more water. You might think that drinking diet sodas and juices are just as good, but an increasing body of research suggests that it’s not. Artificially sweetened drinks can affect your appetite and alter the bacteria that live in your digestive tract. Keeping hydrated with water will benefit your health in multiple ways, improve your skin, help your energy, and so much more.
- Create a list of goals. Having a great year includes having a feeling of accomplishment. We all know how awful it feels to reach the end of the year and regret wasted time. What do you want to do this year? What do you need to accomplish to feel that you had a good year? Look ahead to next December and ask yourself – what have you done that you are proud of?
- Consider a pet. If you have the time for a pet, it can be a great addition to your life. Companionship, comfort, potential exercise buddy, and a great way to teach kids some responsibility. Pets can be a lot of work, but they can add a lot to your life.
- Spend less. Financial issues are one of the most common stressors. One way to enhance your finances is to spend less. Take a look at your current spending habits and look for ways to cut back. You’ll sleep better and have more money available for the things that matter.
- Earn more. Along with spending less, it would be great to earn more. Think about speaking to your supervisor about a pay increase, applying for a better paying position or starting a side business to bring in some additional income. This may not be an option for everyone, but then again…it might. You never know if you don’t ask, right?
- Have a healthy breakfast each day. A healthy breakfast leads to healthier food choices at lunch and dinner. Try not to skip it. You’ll feel better, and it’s easier to be happy when you feel good.
- Declutter. Clutter is insidious. It’s easy to rationalize that it doesn’t matter, but it weighs on your mind. Eliminating the clutter from your life creates a sense of calm and peacefulness. Try decluttering a single room and notice how good it feels to spend time in there.
- Visit someplace new. Explore the world a little bit. You might discover you’re really missing out on some amazing things and places. You don’t necessarily have to go far. The best hamburger or coffee on the planet might be a few small towns away from your home!
- Start your day earlier. Get a jump on the day by getting up early. It’s a peaceful time of day that lends itself to getting a lot done. You’ll have a great year if you accomplish something each morning. Get a workout in, read some personal development, meditate, or just enjoy your coffee in peace!
- Spend more time with others. Our culture spends less time with others than most cultures. We need community, we need our tribe, but often we can get so busy that time for social gatherings disappears. It’s important not to lose social connections, but make sure you are spending time with people that fill your cup. Spend more time with those people that lift you up, that believe in you and have your back.
If you regularly reach the end of the year and wonder where the time went, decide to make this year different. With a few tweaks, you can have your best year yet.
Decide what you want to accomplish this year and get busy. Watch your finances and remove the clutter from your life. Share your life with others. A great year is easier to accomplish than you think.